Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Donna Dennis

On Friday evening I hung out with one of my favourite people, Donna Dennis. Although Its not the first time Ive been to her home/studio in Tribeca, I always see a ton of things I haven’t seen or noticed before- like the books in her amazing library! We had a lot of fun drinking some wine and photographing her dioramas.

Donna makes hosts and hosts of models before embarking on her large scale installation projects. I think they are incredibly beautiful in their own right, and they’ve inspired me in the past to make my own too.

It’s always night time in Donna’s work, I find the scenes she creates have a very quiet, tranquil feel to them as well as something is a little ‘off’, perhaps in their unusual scale or exaggerated features. Kind of like a dreamworld.

Her latest work is an installation that requires half her apartment and is based on abandoned Coney Island, complete with roller-coaster tracks, turnstiles and ticket booths, this eerie theme park took over 12 years to create and will be exhibited April-August 2013 at the Neuberger Museum in Westchester.

Donna is enjoying a very successful career, including shows at the Whitney Museum, The New York Public Library, The Venice Biennale and high profile public work such as ‘Tourist Cabins on Park Avenue’

I only just remembered to get a shot of her as we were saying goodbye, so here she is looking eerie in the elevator.

Thanks again Donna! Im seriously looking forward to this show, we open this Friday (14th). Come along for a wee drink and some music 7-10 : )


No comments:

Post a Comment